- "Sometimes bravery isn't enough; sometimes the world requires us to be bold."
- —Lyla Michaels to Oliver Queen
"The Brave and the Bold" is the eighth episode of Arrow's third season and the fifty-fourth episode overall. The episode acts as the second part of a two-part crossover between The Flash and Arrow, along with the eighth episode of The Flash's first season, "Flash vs. Arrow". It aired on December 3, 2014.
Oliver, Roy, and Diggle track down the location of a boomerang-wielding killer named Digger Harkness but are surprised when they come face to face with an A.R.G.U.S. team. Diggle asks Lyla why A.R.G.U.S. is involved but she defers until Harkness attacks the building, killing several agents and targeting Lyla. The Arrow joins the fight and gets help from an old friend – The Flash. Harkness manages to get away and Oliver teams up with Barry again to find him before he can get to Lyla. When Harkness plants five bombs in the city that are timed to explode at the same time, both teams must come together to save the city.
Preparation began September 18 and wrapped up on September 26. Filming ran from September 29 until October 8.
- The episode's title, The Brave and The Bold, is a reference to a number of DC comic book series which featured super-hero team-ups. The Brave and the Bold's most notable characters were Batman, Green Lantern (Hal Jordan), Green Arrow and The Flash (Barry Allen).
- When Oliver and Barry meet Captain Lance, he refers to Barry as "Bart". This is a reference to Bart Allen, Barry's grandson in the comics who becomes a speedster himself and uses the monikers Impulse, Kid Flash, and the Flash.
- This is the only Arrow part of an Arrow Flash crossover that includes the flashback storyline.
- After the fight between Oliver and Barry about their difference of views, Lyla asks Oliver if him and "Speedy" are alright. Oliver says, "What? Roy? Yeah, we're fine." This is a reference to Roy being Speedy before becoming Arsenal in the comics. In "Arrow", the only person to be called Speedy is Thea Queen.
- The final showdown between Barry and Oliver is a reference to Rocky Balboa and Apollo Creed's final showdown in Rocky III.
- The spar that occurs between Barry and Oliver at the end of the episode is cut short without revealing its outcome. It is revealed at the end of the Legends of Tomorrow episode Invasion! that Barry won.
- ↑ Arrow #3.8 Description: “The Brave and the Bold” (Flash Crossover) - GreenArrowTV
- ↑ Marc Guggenheim (@mguggenheim) - Twitter
|Arrow season 3|
|"The Calm" • "Sara" • "Corto Maltese" • "The Magician" • "The Secret Origin of Felicity Smoak" • "Guilty" • "Draw Back Your Bow" • "The Brave and the Bold" • "The Climb" • "Left Behind" • "Midnight City" • "Uprising" • "Canaries" • "The Return" • "Nanda Parbat" • "The Offer" • "Suicidal Tendencies" • "Public Enemy" • "Broken Arrow" • "The Fallen" • "Al Sah-him" • "This Is Your Sword" • "My Name Is Oliver Queen"|